A Special Investigation Committee has been appointed by the Secretary to the Ministry of Internal Transport on the instructions of the Minister to investigate into and make recommendations on corruption, maladministration and irregularities within the Ministry of Internal Transport and its affiliated institutions within the last five years.
The Cabinet has approved this proposal by Minister of Internal Transport Ranjith Maddumabandara to obtain instructions from the Attorney General's Department for taking legal actions against relevant institutions and responsible persons revealed by this committee on following matters and also take necessary action to prevent such activities in the future:
- Non recovery of Rs. 142 million for providing SLTB buses for publicity campaigns during the 2015 Presidential Elections.
- Non receipt of the discount in purchasing 2,200 buses for the Sri Lanka Transport Board on supplier's credit.
- Poor quality and losing of import duty concessions by the Sri Lanka Transport Board in purchasing of spare parts.
- Operation of private buses under the SLTB logo.
- Operation of 20 luxury buses imported for the Commonwealth Heads of Governments Meeting by the Road Development Authority.
- Enormous cost and issues regarding the estimates of the constructions of the Northern railway line.
- Estimated high costs for the construction of the Matara-Kataragama railway line.
- Vesting of and leasing out of Railway lands to external institutions under vague procedures.
- Operation of carriages/special trains with private sector participation, financial loss due to the operation of the Viceroy - 2 special train and
- Deviating in the procedures of selling scrap iron.